Your city councilors and mayor are all volunteers. For me, the commitments and time that go along with that service are just a continuation of my entire career, which has been spent in local government. I have great pride in Toledo and confidence in its future, and I look forward to continuing to help bring greater opportunities to all residents of our community. I have served as a member of the City budget committee, City councilor, Council President, and then was mayor for nearly three years. I would like to bring my support to the City Council once again.
Toledo is a wonderful place to live and work, and potentially has an even better future. I made it my mission while active in City government to make sure that Toledo was fully recognized by Lincoln County and Salem, and to work for the improvements we need. I believe that my more than 35 years of local government experience can be of great help, as local issues can be complicated and we need to make the most of our limited resources in everything we do.
While mayor I worked on many issues besides normal City business, including:
* Leading the City council and City staff in gaining the least-expensive revenue bonds possible to fund vitally needed improvements to Toledo’s water system, saving utility customers hundreds of thousands of dollars;
* Going to Salem to push state agencies in favor of finishing Hwy 20 improvements and for the Port of Toledo’s expansion grant;
* Pressuring Union Pacific and the local railroad to obtain improvements to Toledo’s railroad crossings;
* Serving as an active member of the committee that successfully promoted Toledo/Newport’s bid as the site for the International Wave Energy Testbed;
* Leading the City Council in working toward optimum use of Toledo’s remaining industrial property to promote economic development while protecting the local environment;
* Working with OSU and its Foundation on housing and siting issues for OSU’s planned expansion of its Marine Studies program in South Beach, which will also have a major impact on Toledo;
* Regularly using correspondence and social media to promote Toledo, as well as its festivals and events.
* I have also been active on a variety of commissions and in area organizations, including:
* Serving on two advisory committees of the League of Oregon Cities;
* Serving as a member of the Yaquina Bay Economic Foundation;
* Acting as a non-local member of the Newport Airport Commission;
* Working in the Lincoln County Food Network, seeking to promote better nutrition for area residents including SNAP beneficiaries;
For fun, indulging my love of all things railroad as president of the Yaquina Pacific RR Historical Society and a docent at the railroad museum.
I have the experience and skills to represent and serve the citizens of Toledo as a member of the City Council. Please support me with your vote. Thank you.