A boat called The Sea Dog suffered an explosion Tuesday evening at around 11:40 on Newport’s Bayfront at Port Dock 5. The boat caught fire. One occupant was aboard with a dog. The fire was kept somewhat under control until the fire department could get there by others on the dock using small houses to douse the flames.
Arriving firefighters from Newport Fire knocked the rest of the fire down. The source of the fire was traced to an overloaded electrical circuit. The lone occupant got out okay. The dog did not.