Reported by North Lincoln Fire and Rescue
Captain Jim Kusz
North Lincoln Fire & Rescue was dispatched to a medical call this morning at 5:01 am on a 911 call for help from a man who was having a hard time breathing at his residence at 1600 NE 14th. As it turned out, it was still dark so the man didn’t realize his cottage was on fire.
A neighbor across the street, who was getting ready for work, saw the smoke and heard the smoke alarm sounding. He ran over, opened the door and helped get the man outside as the neighbor’s wife called 911 that the residence was on fire.
North Lincoln Fire & Rescue crews arrived on scene and quickly extinguished the fire. The victim was transported to Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital to be checked out for likely smoke inhalation. Early investigation by Fire Marshal & Assistant Chief Doug Kerr points to improper handling of smoking materials as the most probable cause of the blaze.
This has been the third fire in Lincoln City in the past two weeks where smoke alarms helped saved the day – Pelican Shores Motel with a laundry room fire on July 20th forcing the evacuation of the motel. Then the next day Gallucci’s Pizzeria had a kitchen fire sending the owner to the hospital with smoke inhalation. And then this morning’s call to 1600 NE 14th.
In each of these incidents smoke alarms and notification to 911 by neighbors or occupants, assisted in quick evacuation and fast suppression these fires.
Rapid deployment of North Lincoln Fire & Rescue’s volunteer firefighters helped keep the damage to a bare minimum. These incidents serve as a reminder to be aware of fire risks around your home and/or business and to be sure that all smoke alarms are in working order and that you have an escape plan in the event of a fire.