From Fire Chief Rob Murphy
At around 4:30 am today Newport Fire Department responded to a fire alarm sounding from a residence located on the 400 block of SW 6th Street. While units were still responding another caller to 911 added that dark smoke was coming from the house. Our first arriving fire engine reported smoke coming from first and second floor. The lone occupant, who made it out safely, reported the fire was coming from the basement of the home, behind the garage.
Our crews gained entry into the garage and advanced hose lines to the rear of the home. They discovered a dehumidifier unit that had burned it’s self-up. The fire was quickly extinguished and crews proceeded to ventilate the smoke from the rest of the structure.
Newport Fire Department responded with 1 fire engines, 1 rescue, 1 ladder truck and 15 firefighters. Newport Fire Department was assisted by Newport Police Department, Depoe Bay Fire District and Pacific West Ambulance.
The fire was caused by a malfunction in a dehumidifier unit. Newport Fire Department urges everyone to have a working smoke detector. Any questions may be directed to the Fire Chief.