Fitness Day at the Newport 60+ Activity Center
Come to the 60+ Center on January 7th, discover your personal fitness level, and get started on the path to a healthier you in the New Year! Newport 60+ Activity Center will be offering free fitness evaluations on Thursday, January 7th from 1:00 – 3:00 pm.
The 7 individual tests are simple, will take approximately 45-minutes to complete, and are an easy way to measure upper and lower body strength, flexibility, agility and balance. These evidence-based tests were designed by Roberta E. Rikli and C. Jessie Jones, PhD’s through California State University, Fullerton. Test results will be compared to national study data and will help individuals create a personal baseline for their fitness level.
Here are some things you need to know prior to arriving for your appointment on Fitness Day:
1. Avoid strenuous physical activity one or two days prior to testing.
2. Avoid excess alcohol use for 24 hours prior to testing.
3. Eat a light meal one hour prior to testing.
4. Wear clothing and shoes appropriate for participating in physical activity.
5. Bring a hat and sunglasses for walking outside, and reading glasses (if needed) for completing forms.
6. Bring the Informed Consent/Assumption of Liability and Medical Clearance forms, if required. (Forms are available at the 60+ Activity Center office.)
7. Inform test administrator of any medical conditions or medications that could affect your performance.
Come to the 60+ Center on January 7th, discover your personal fitness level, and get started on the path to a healthier you in the New Year!
For more information, or to schedule your appointment, call 541-265-9617. It is advised to have a medical clearance form prior to testing. If there is an overwhelming response we will schedule an additional fitness testing day in January. We also plan to offer these tests on a quarterly basis. The 60+ Activity Center is located at 20 SE 2nd Street in Newport.