The Newport City Council is accepting written reports about the addition of fluoride to the city’s water system. A process has been developed to allow interested individuals, or groups, to provide a report in response to specific questions that will assist the City Council in its decision-making. The City Council will be discussing this matter at the October 19, 2015 City Council meeting.
Any person, or group, wishing to submit a report is required to utilize the following standard format. The reports should be submitted by email to email@example.com, and the deadline for submittal is Monday, October 12th, at 5:00 P.M.
Responses to the following questions are required:
1. Please identify the name of the group or persons submitting this response.
2. From 1962 until 2005, the City of Newport added fluoride to the municipal water
system consistent with two votes of the citizens of Newport that were held in 1960 and 1962. The authority and directive to add fluoride to the municipal water system was outlined in Resolution No. 1165-A. In 2005, the addition of fluoride to the municipal water system was discontinued when an administrative decision was made that employee safety standards could not be met through the method of how fluoride was added to the city’s water system at that time. When the new Water Treatment Plant was designed, the equipment and provisions for resuming the addition of fluoride were eliminated as a cost savings measure through another administrative decision. As of this date, Resolution No. 1165-A, directing the addition of fluoride to the municipal water system has not been repealed by the City Council. Should the City Council resume the addition of fluoride to the City of Newport’s water system in accordance with Resolution No. 1165-A? Please explain the reasons for your position as to why or why not fluoride should be added back into the municipal water system. [Provide a written response, not to exceed four pages on Question 2.]
3. During the public hearing on fluoride held on September8,the City Council received many pages of testimony and reports, either supporting or opposing the resumption of fluoride to the municipal water system. Please feel free to rebut any information/comments that were shared in writing or in person at this public hearing to help the Council better understand your position on this matter. [Do not exceed three pages in your response to Question 3.]
4. Summarize your conclusion as to what action the Council should take on this matter. [Do not to exceed a half page in response to Question 4.]
5. List any outside resources (PowerPoints, links to other reports, or other studies that
you believe may be helpful for the Council’s consideration). Only include the electronic
links; do not include the actual reports.
6. Provide the name and contact information from the individual responsible for
submitting the report on behalf of your organization.
These questions are also on the city’s website at www.newportoregon.gov. Questions
on this format should be directed to City Manager, Spencer Nebel, firstname.lastname@example.org, or City Recorder, Peggy Hawker, email@example.com.
The goal of this process is to provide all sides an opportunity to present their concise thoughts and concerns regarding this matter. The deadline for response to these questions is October 12, 2015, at 5:00 P.M., and responses should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.