With the next big earthquake on the minds of those in the Pacific Northwest, the American Red Cross and NW Natural have teamed up for the fourth year in a row to host a series of Get Ready events throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
The events, held on September 12 and 19, aim to help communities prepare for natural disasters and other emergencies. This year, Get Ready will be held in the seven communities of Portland, Vancouver, Salem, The Dalles, Lincoln County, Coos Bay, and the North Coast.
“Being prepared for an emergency will help give you and your family peace of mind,” said Cara Sloman, regional disaster program officer for the American Red Cross Cascades Region. “These events are an effective way to get started with emergency planning because attendees will receive a lot of helpful information and giveaways.”
Get Ready is free to the general public, and there is no need to register. Free lunch will be provided at most locations, as well as safety demonstrations, materials from local emergency groups, and kids’ activities. The first 100 families at each event will receive a free emergency tube. Attendees will also have the chance to enter a drawing to win an American Red Cross emergency kit.
Local fire departments, police departments, and other emergency teams will join the American Red Cross Cascades Region and NW Natural at the following dates, times and locations:
Saturday, September 12, 2015:
* Get Ready Salem – 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the State Capitol State Park Grounds in Salem.
* Get Ready Lincoln County – 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Lincoln County Fairgrounds in Newport.
* Get Ready Vancouver – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CRESA Building, 710 W. 13th Street in Vancouver.
* Get Ready Happy Valley – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at City of Happy Valley’s city hall outdoor area.
* Get Ready Coos Bay – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Coos Bay Fire Department, 450 Elrod Ave.
Saturday, September 19, 2015:
* Get Ready The Dalles – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Mid-Columbia Fire & Rescue, 1400 W. 8th Street in The Dalles.
* Get Ready North Coast – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lum’s Auto Center, 1605 SE Ensign Lane in Warrenton.