Update from Newport Fire & Rescue:
Cause of the blaze was a daisy chained series of extension cords that were not equipped anywhere along the line with a circuit breaker to prevent overloads. Each plug, either in the wall or in a multi-plug strip or wheel, has a limit to the amount of power it can handle. If the electrical flow exceeds the capacity of the extension cord(s), heat builds up, circuits fail or short circuit, and fire is the natural result.
Smoke and flames visible at video game street, at 228 SW 101. Black smoke seen inside.
There are two apartments upstairs. Reports say the residents got out safely.
One resident ran back upstairs and into the building to try to retrieve a cat.
First fire hydrant was a dud. Didn’t work. Going to another one nearby.
Toledo and Depoe Bay Fire have been summoned to the scene to help Newport to put out the fire. Southbound lanes of 101 are blocked. Detour around the area.
Fire knocked down. All personnel accounted for.