A rather bleak last couple of months for rain has put the Yachats city water system in a bit of a bind. Flows from Reedy and Salmon Creeks have been meager at best forcing City Hall to announce a Phase 1 water restriction condition for everyone on the city water system.
Restrictions effective immediately include:
* Outdoor watering PROHIBITED between 10am to 7pm. If your street address ends in an odd number, you water on odd numbered days of the calendar. If your street address ends in an even number, you water on even numbered days of the calendar.
* Fire Department prohibited from testing hydrants or any other non-emergency use of water.
* Outdoor decorative fountains that don’t recycle their water must be turned OFF. Those that do recycle their water can be left on.
* The Whale spout is turned off.
City officials say Phase 1 restrictions are not going to cut it for very much longer. They anticipate Phase 2 restrictions are possible within the next two weeks. And Phase 2 entails much tighter water use:
* No lawn sprinklers. You can water your lawn by hand, but that’s it.
* Drip Irrigation is allowed.
* Watering by bucket is allowed. Trees and shrubs included.
* No washing of cars, buildings or pavement.
* No ornamental fountains even if their water is recycled.
* No water use for dust control.
* No water served in restaurants unless specifically requested by the customer.
Again, Phase 2 restrictions are expected within the next couple of weeks – that is if the dry spell continues.