Reports of a sparking power pole at 6th and Nye in Newport is lighting up the night outside the big apartment building there on the corner. Seems that a wire gave way and is now dangling from the power pole and that sparks were visible.
Newport Firefighters pulling up on scene say there doesn’t seem to be any sparking going on at the moment but that they’ll be investigating.
Firefighters say it appears that dirty insulators atop the pole might have given high voltage a pathway to short out – but there are no wires down and there is no longer any sparking. Fire crews asked Central Lincoln PUD to check out the pole to make sure there’s no major problem with the pole and it’s electrical equipment.