The Newport Public Library will offer the following free classes during the month of May.
* Beginning Word (2013) will be taught on May 1 at 9:00 a.m. This class introduces people to the basic commands to create a word processing document. Intermediate Word will be taught at 10:00 a.m. This class builds on the previous one, and teaches how to insert photographs, create lists using bullets and numbers, and set margins, tabs, and line spacing.
* On Friday, May 8, Introduction to Library Resources will be offered at 9:00 a.m. This class will touch on using the online catalog, databases, audiobooks and ebooks, and finding library services. At 10:00 a.m., Advanced Google Searching will be offered. This class teaches how to fine-tune searches to get the most reliable information, and how to quickly find things like movie times, weather, and currency exchanges.
* On Saturday, May 9 at 11:00 a.m., Free Legal Information on the Internet will be taught. This class shows how to find legal forms, legal reference books, and articles from legal journals.
* Online Safety will be taught at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, May 15. This class covers the basics of online privacy protection, including using public computers and wifi networks safely, as well as the savvy use of social media.
* On Friday, May 29, Beginning Excel will be taught at 9:00 a.m. This class teaches the basics of creating a spreadsheet and adding rows and columns. Intermediate Excel will be offered at 10:00 a.m. This class teaches how to balance a checkbook, use multiple worksheets, and create charts.
All classes are free and last one hour. Registration is required. For more information, please call (541) 265-2153 or check the library website, www.newportlibrary.org.