7:00pm – A grease fire on the stove at 270 SE Penter Lane erupted in the kitchen. An alert person threw something on it. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was just about out, although white smoke was still wafting from the house. All occupants are out and safe.
7:02pm – Fire confirmed out. The occupants threw flour on the fire, which according to fire fighters helps very little to put the fire out. Firefighters say that the first thing to do is to turn off the burner feeding the pot. That’s first. Second find a pot lid or a cookie sheet and put it over the top of the pot.
NEVER, EVER, EVER USE WATER. IT WILL CAUSE THE FIRE TO EXPLODE AND SPREAD TO WALLS, CABINETS AND FLOOR AND TO ANY PERSON IN THE KITCHEN.
Best way to fight a grease fire is to have a chemical spray fire extinguisher always at the ready. Don’t store it anywhere near the stove. If a fire erupts you may not be able to get to it. Store it AT LEAST 6 to 10 feet away. Get it out and aim it at the fire and squeeze the tigger. Once the fire is out, watch that it doesn’t re-erupt. Call the fire department to make sure the fire is dead out and that it didn’t cause any smolderings that you can’t see that could erupt in another fire.