CITY OF NEWPORT TO HOLD A PUBLIC HEARING FOR COMMUNITY INPUT ON CITY COUNCIL GOALS FOR FISCAL YEAR 2015/2016
The Newport City Council recently got an earful from its various city departments, advisory committees, and the public on goals for the 2015-16 fiscal year. In response the City Council prioritized fourteen goals for next fiscal year. The goals will help the City Council identify priorities as the city begins developing the next city budget that runs from July 1st through June 30th of next year.
A public hearing on all this will be held during the City Council meeting of March 16th. The meeting begins at 6:00PM in the City Council Chambers inside Newport City Hall, 169 SW Coast Highway.
The fourteen identified goals include:
* Pursue the hiring of a Fire Prevention Officer/Emergency Manager;
* Pursue city beautification with flower plantings, stronger code enforcement,
annexation of certain South Beach properties, and billboard ordinance modifications;
* Proceed with an update of the Parks Master Plan;
* Assign a Police Officer to the Lincoln Interagency Narcotics Team (LINT);
* Jointly fund a School Resource Officer with the Lincoln County School District;
* Install street lights at the Newport Public Library;
* Create an online information page that would include financial reporting on project costs and scheduled completions for Public Works projects;
* Pursue negotiations among various stakeholders on regionalizing the Newport Municipal Airport;
* Replace city halls heating and air conditioning system;
* Proceed with Stage Two of the Library Strategic Plan;
* Develop a long-term financing plan for city facilities and begin funding that plan;
* Work with property owners in the City Center to repair their buildings;
* Encourage economic development by being friendly to small businesses and
finding ways to make Newport a better place for small business success;
* Create a larger, more prominent, display for Coast Guard memorabilia in the
All of the City Council suggestions arising from the goal setting session are
available in the City Council packet for March 2, 2015. This document is available on the city’s website at www.newportoregon.gov; click on “City Government,” then on “City Council Meetings, and on “City Council – Agenda – Packet – March 2, 2015.”
The public is encouraged to attend the public hearing on March 16, 2015 to provide comments on the proposed City Council goals. Written comments regarding the goals may be submitted to the City Recorder, via e-mail, at email@example.com, or by mail, or dropped off to the City Recorder at City Hall, 169 SW Coast Highway, Newport, Oregon 97365.
Written comments must be submitted by 4:00 P.M. on Monday, March 16, 2015, and will be included as a part of the record during the public hearing scheduled that evening.