The National Weather Service in Portland has issued a Flood Watch for southwest Washington and northwest Oregon. This watch is in effect from Saturday afternoon through Monday afternoon. The Red Cross urges residents to be prepared for activities that may affect them due to floods. Flood safety tips include:
– Check “go” kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply. Keep it nearby.
– Fill plastic bottles with clean water for drinking
– Fill car’s gas tank in case of evacuation notice
– Move furniture and valuables to higher floors of the home
– Unplug small appliances to reduce potential damage
– Consider precautionary evacuation of animals, especially large or numerous ones
– Avoid contact with floodwater as it may be contaminated
– Be prepared to evacuate quickly and know your departure route/destination
Safety tips and preparedness information is also available on the Red Cross Flood App. Applicable for iPhone and Android devices, the app is designed to help users learn about what to do before, during and after a flood. The app features a flashlight, alarm and “I’m safe” function. It also includes sections on what to do if the power goes out or if you are ordered to evacuate, what may/may not be covered by flood insurance and information for people with disabilities or special needs such as reliance on electricity for essential medical equipment. For more information about the Red Cross Flood App, visit www.redcross.org/prepare/mobile-apps.