The accidental death of former Newport resident Loretta Macpherson 65, at Bend’s St. Charles Medical Center earlier this month, has triggered a widespread re-analysis of the way dangerous drugs are handled in the facility. Loretta was accidentally given a drug that paralyzes muscles during an operation instead of the anti-seizure medicine that the nurse thought she was administering. A different labeling system has already been adopted to better ensure that the label on an IV bag denotes what is actually in the bag.
As for whether anything could have been done to intervene when Loretta, lying alone in her bed, started having adverse reactions to the drug, experts say how could they, when there was a fire alarm going off and there was nothing about this particular injection that was deemed dangerous – so nobody knew.
In addition, the Deschutes County District Attorney has announced he will not seek criminal charges against those who handled the delivery or injection of the drug.
Here’s more from the Bend Bulletin. Click here.