A two story home near the corner of North Bank Road and Durette Drive went up in flames Friday evening. The blaze, which started at around 5pm, ignited what was believed to be a source of propane. The fire was burning very hot and for that reason, firefighters assumed a defensive stance meaning their first priority was to prevent the fire from igniting nearby homes, brush and trees. But it also meant that the house would burn to the ground.
Everybody inside got out okay including an elderly gentleman. A family dog died while trying to escape the fire by seeking refuge in the basement.
Source of the fire was said to be a candle.
The Red Cross responded to the scene and arranged for the occupants to have a temporary place to live while long term lodging can be found.
Meanwhile, there is word that a young couple with a baby was also living in the home. When the fire broke out they were up in Portland visiting. So they are too out of a place to live. Here’s some Facebook chatter about their circumstances and a plea to the community to find it in their hearts to help them in any way they can.