Harmful Algal Bloom Update:
The Harmful Algal Bloom in Devils Lake has dissipated significantly over the last week, and is hardly noticeable through most of the lake. However the Water Contact Advisory officially remains in place until further notice. Toxin analysis shows that all but one site are well below the state’s guidelines for Microcystin. Please note though that other toxins may be present. Certain sites also do still have scum washing ashore depending on the wind direction at the time of sampling. This was at Holmes Road and the Campground at the time of sampling, but may change quickly.
Always look before you leap! The next sampling period will be the week of November 17th.
During this water contact advisory:
* Do not drink the lake water (Please note that the Devils Lake State Campground does not use lake water for drinking, so their water as well as all city water is safe for consumption)
* Avoid swimming or waterskiing in areas of scum or where toxins are known to be present
* Keep pets away
* Clean fish well and discard guts
* Avoid areas of scum when boating
* Call your doctor or veterinarian if you or your animals have sudden or unexplained sickness or signs of poisoning.
* Please note that activities that do not result in ingestion of lake water or inhalation of lake water droplets are low risk. This includes sun bathing, pleasure cruising, catch and release fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Individuals who choose to eat fish caught during a bloom are advised to thoroughly clean, gut, remove skin and remove the head before cooking as toxins are not destroyed by cooking.
This advisory remains in effect until further notice. Additional samples will be analyzed every two weeks until the notice is lifted.