It’s been getting rather dry out there the farther you get from the coast. A carelessly tossed cigarette is believed to be the cause of a bark dust and grass fire outside the Samaritan Clinic in Toledo this afternoon.
Toledo Fire was called to the scene and found some Les Schwab employees fighting the fire with fire extinguishers. Firefighters finished the job for them. Chief Will Ewing said there were some pretty flame lengths there for a few minutes. Scared a few folks too.
Chief Ewing noted that we’ve had a pretty dry summer so the fire danger is quite real and we’re not even into September yet. He said watch where those cigarette butts go. Put them out by grinding them into a hard surface and then find a safe place to throw them away.
As always, big fires always start out as little fires. So be careful and use common sense.