These tips came directly from a list we compiled from other municipalities who have the same Mixed Compostables service as our community.
Here are the tips we’ve published:
– The easiest way to collect food waste is to keep a container with a tight fitting lid in a convenient place in your kitchen.
– Put out compostables cart every week
– Itʼs a good idea to ʻlayerʼ yard debris under and on top of food waste to keep the cart cleaner and odor free.
– Some customers keep their food waste frozen or refrigerated until collection day to control odor.
Here are some other things you can do as well:
– Use paper bags to collect your food waste
– Like you mentioned, wrap your food scraps in newspaper
We also just received information from the composting facility that customers may use BPI approved (Biodegradable Products Institute) bags in their composting bins. These bags are still in the testing phase, so paper bags are still the best. I’ve seen BPI-approved bags in the gardening section of Fred Meyer.
We hope you’ve found these tips helpful. It’s our experience that customers generally need to figure out what works best for them within the guidelines we’ve given. For instance, food-soiled paper products (napkins, paper towels, paper plates) that are allowed in the Mixed Compostables cart can help mitigate some of the food “juices” or odor. It’s all about finding out what works for your household based on what your Mixed Compostables waste is made up of. You may also sprinkle baking soda (because it’s a food) in your cart if you find that helps with odor.
As far as kitchen composting containers, many local retailers sell them. I’ve personally seen them at Fred Meyer as well as the locally-owned kitchen shop in Nye Beach, Tu Tu Tu. There are a variety of materials these kitchen bins are made out of; stainless, bamboo, silicone, and plastic. Our office has a complimentary plastic one with a locking lid if you’d like to come by and get one. It really comes down to what you prefer.
This service is new to us as well and we’ve diligently tried to inform our customers of the most common practices found in our industry because we want this program to be successful and as easy as possible. If you or your neighbors find a tip that works really well, please email us and we can pass it on.
Thompson’s Sanitary Service