Tuesday: Assn’t Chief Doug Kerr tells NewsLincolnCounty.com that the cause of the fire was a failed motor in one of the dryers in the laundry area of the Memory Center portion of the building – NE area. Damage was limited to the dryer with some minor fire and smoke damage to the laundry room. Chief Kerr said the dryer was fairly new. Residents in the unit are expected to be back into their units by this evening.
11:05pm – North Lincoln Fire Rescue and Lincoln City Police have converged on Lakeview Senior Living Center at 2690 NE Yachat Street.
Arriving firefighters are partially splitting their efforts at assisting with evacuation of residents and fighting the fire. The fire is said to be in a laundry room in the Memory Care section of the facility, at the northeast corner of the complex. Fire is spreading a bit according to one firefighter at 11:15pm. Possibly a dryer fire that ignited the wall or cabinets.
11:17pm – Firefighters say the facility fire sprinklers are working and it appears the fire is being knocked down.
11:18pm – Firefighters say smoke is limited to the area of the fire only – it’s not spreading to other parts of the building. Evacuation sounds like it’s going well.
11:25pm – Sounds like firefighters are transitioning to ensuring the fire is dead out – using heat imaging equipment to detect any fugitive fire in the walls, floor or overhead. Things have calmed down considerably.
11:31pm – Building’s riser room water is being shut off to control remaining active sprinkler heads. Air evacuation fans are being placed inside the center to blow out any smoke remaining in the building.
11:45pm – Firefighters report the fire is out. They’re making sure the fire did not sneak around inside walls, overhead or floors. They’re in the process of mopping up. Light smoke still in the area but the fans are doing a good job, according to fire fighters.
Firefighters are ensuring that the residents have what they need in their evacuated area. Police are being released from the scene. No word on when residents will be allowed to return to their rooms.
11:51 – Residents who don’t live in the Memory Care unit are being allowed to return to their rooms. The fire broke out in the laundry room of the Memory Care unit on the northeast corner of the main building. Firefighters are moving in shopvacs to vacuum out water and dehumidifiers to clean up the air.