A near county-wide fundraising and donation collection operation has been activated for a Siletz woman and her family who lost their home to fire Sunday morning.
The blaze, triggered possibly by a faulty water heater, consumed the interior of the home. Fortunately Karen Neilsen’s son-in-law and granddaughter made it out in time. But one of their dogs perished in the blaze.
Karen and her daughter were at work at the time, both learning about the fire from friends and the fire department. As you can see from the photos, they lost absolutely everything. The house was a total loss. And Karen carried no renter’s insurance. So they’re starting over.
Karen’s boss at Best Western Agate Beach Hotel has started up a YouCaring.com account for Karen and her family. To donate to them, just click here. The Siletz Valley Fire Department is also accepting donations for Karen’s family. For information go to the fire department website by clicking here.
Further donation information: Immediate need: clothes for 2 adults women and one man and one 4 year old girl.
If you want to make donation to the family please call Gail @ 541-272-0648 or go to 205 Gaither Ave (the apartment across from the library), or contact Judy & Larry @ 541-444-1019.
Other organizations are poised to help Karen Neilsen and her family. Pick of the Litter Thrift Store’s Karen Dichari says they have clothing they can donate. Jeanne Bower with Shangrila says when the family finds another place to live Shangrila can help with furnishings. The family is being given the referral numbers.
In the meantime the Red Cross was called to find them temporary housing.