Two house fires on Sunday morning – In Newport & Siletz – Siletz victims seek donations through “YouCaring.com”
A neighbor walking by a home on NW 19th behind Cobblestone Pizza Sunday morning saw smoke coming not only out of the chimney but from around it as well. The neighbor ran up to the front door and told the occupants that their house was on fire.
The family evacuated and the fire department was called. Firefighters pulled up to see a fast spreading chimney fire, seeing smoke coming from the length of the roofline meaning the fire had gone into the attic.
Newport firefighters attacked the blaze from the inside by ripping out the ceiling of the main living and bedroom areas and getting water on it through a hole that firefighters cut into the roof.
Water damage was spread throughout the living area, all the way down to the day basement.
Firefighters say they looked inside the chimney and it was obvious that it hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. On top of that the tenants were burning general trash in the fireplace which, they say, is a major hazard because of its tendency to cause chimney fires.
No one was injured. The family is being relocated to temporary shelter through the services of the Red Cross.
At about the same time as the Newport fire, another home fire broke out in Siletz out Siletz River Road. Siletz and Toledo firefighters were called to Space 24 in the mobile home park there. They pulled up seeing the single wide fully engulfed in flame. The homeowner’s son-in-law and young daughter had already evacuated.
There was very little firefighters could do except to prevent the fire from igniting adjacent dwellings on either side.
One of the family’s two dogs survived. A faulty water heater is suspected as the cause of the blaze. The Red Cross was called to assist with temporary shelter for the family.
News Lincoln County has learned that the homeowner, Karen Neilsen, was at work at the Best Western Agate Beach Hotel when the fire broke out. Hotel manager Judy Kuhl says Neilsen is a housekeeping employee at the hotel and needs help to get her and her family back on their feet, including her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter.
The hotel has set up a donation website at YouCaring.com: To donate just click here.