Smoke inside a home at 868 NW 6th. Fire units enroute. Back up fire departments are waiting word on whether mutual aid is needed.
Toledo Fire Department still on scene.
5:30 Fire Department back in quarters. Chief Will Ewing reports that the fire was in the basement of a house at 868 NW 6th. He said a clothes dryer in the basement overheated and ignited the clothes being dried. The fire destroyed the dryer and the clothes inside it. That was the extent of the damage.
Chief Ewing says that cleaning out a dryer’s lint trap is extremely important. For if the lint trap fills up and stops the dryer exhaust from reaching the outside, the dryer continues to heat up until something around 700 degrees is achieved and the clothes suddenly erupt in flame.
He said cleaning the lint trap is the easiest and least troublesome way to prevent dryer fires.