Update: Cat is doing fine at the vet.
A fire broke out inside an apartment at 405 NE 36th, Little Creek Apartments, shortly before 7am. Firefighters pulled up to see smoke escaping through a roof vent with flames showing inside, through the kitchen window. There was no one home – both husband and wife were already at work.
They quickly got a hose up the stairwell and into the apartment. They located the source area – the kitchen. A toaster with a pop tart stuck in it was offered by the wife who tearfully stood by, worried sick about her cat.
Firefighters found the cat, and immediately whipped out a cat/dog rescue kit and started feeding it oxygen. Firefighters handed the cat off to the husband who quickly sped off with it to the vet. Late word from firefighters is that the cat has begun to recover from its smokey experience and was doing well by the afternoon.
Firefighters say there’s heat, smoke and fire damage to the upstairs apartment making it uninhabitable. There is minor water damage to the apartment below. The Red Cross is providing temporary living quarters for the occupants of the fire damaged apartment.
Once again, firefighters remind everyone, before leaving your home or office, do a quick check of any possible fire source – especially in the kitchen area. Also check space heaters in bedrooms and bathrooms. It’s 30 seconds that can save your home.