An electrical problem in a heater in an upstairs apartment on Inlet Avenue caused a fire to begin racing through the apartment, setting out copious quantities of smoke. But no one in the building knew a thing about it, because they didn’t have smoke alarms, including the apartment that was burning.
Responding North Lincoln Fire Rescue units quickly swarmed and put out the upstairs fire and tracked down its source – again the heater. But to their surprise, there was no smoke alarm in the apartment. And they immediately found out there were no alarms anywhere else in the building, for that matter.
Fire Captain Jim Kusz called for members of North Lincoln Fire and Rescue to return to the apartment house and install all new fire alarms for all the tenants for free. Captain Kusz said, “It is the goal of our fire district to assist in keeping our residents and visitors safe. This will definitely help.”
Captain Kusz added “It serves yet again as a good reminder to install smoke alarms and check them regularly.