A Lincoln City resident napping at home was awakened by several skateboarders who happened to be going by the NE Jetty residence. The skateboarders spotted smoke coming from the roof of the home at 1334 NE Jetty and called 9-1-1. The resident safely got outside while North Lincoln Fire raced to the scene. Firefighters put the fire out quickly.
North Lincoln Fire Captain Jim Kusz said the resident had fallen asleep with a wood stove blazing away. Capt. Kusz said the older home’s stove pipe was extremely hot and sparks escaped into the attic and ignited the rafters. Firefighters saved the small home but damage was significant.
Capt. Kusz said the home was not equipped with a smoke alarm. Fortunately passing skateboarders filled the bill – this time.