Fire at Big Creek Point Senior Living Living Center on Crestview
Fire is out.
Fire caused by tenant refilling a cigarette lighter. He spilled a little so when he tested his lighter the flame ignited a big easy chair. Tenant said “this is a good reason to stop smoking.”
Fire Chief Phil Paige said the apartment’s fire sprinklers did their job. It slowed the fire down so firefighters had time to respond and keep damage to a minimum. An apartment below had a little bit of water coming through the ceiling, but nothing major. Big fans cleared the building of smoke very quickly.
Evacuated residents are gathered in the facility’s community room. They’ll soon all be back in their rooms.
Additional comment by Newport Fire:
Newport Fire Department would like to remind the public to always use caution with smoking materials, especially in an indoor setting. This fire was also a clear demonstration of how sprinklers work to contain fires long enough to allow people to safely exit a burning structure. Sprinklers save lives!