Community Provides Holiday Support for Homeless Students
Shortly before Christmas, approximately 200 homeless children and parents attended holiday parties at three Lincoln County School District HELP Centers – in Lincoln City, Newport, and Toledo. Families in South County received Christmas support through Seashore Family Literacy in Waldport.
The HELP Center events included children making Christmas ornaments, festive food, a stocking stuffer station, and families receiving gift cards, blankets, coats, pajamas and other practical items. Families also were able to have their family portrait taken, and Santa and Mrs. Claus came to share in the holiday cheer.
HELP Coordinator Katey Townsend said the parties helped families who were struggling this year to provide a memorable Christmas for their children. This was made possible with the help of 42 volunteers and a large number of contributions from local businesses, groups and individuals. On behalf of Lincoln County School District, the HELP Program, and all the children and families, Townsend thanks the following for their generosity:
* Worldmark by Wyndham donated a moving truck full of PJ’s, blankets, jackets, socks, and practical household items.
* The Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians, TCB Security and LCSD District Office also contributed PJ’s, blankets and socks.
* Yaquina Bay Communications (including KYTE, KCRF) and local businesses (Bank of the West, Savory Café, Skin-tastic, Newport Café, Lil Joes General Store and Coastal Shoes Birkenstock Store) collected gift cards.
* The Newport High School Leadership Club held a competition among third period classes to collect donations and raised more than $1,200 for homeless students.
* The Dollar Tree donated stocking stuffers.
* Other contributors included Mariner’s Square, Muggly’s Bowling, Mill Town Coffee, Cohen & Park Photography, Newport Rotary and Interact Club, Coastal Pediatrics, NOAA, Newport Cinema, Blue Water Photography, J.a.k.s. Photography Studio, Simply Design Studio, Raising the Roof Ministries, Eagle’s Wing, Atonement Lutheran Church, Central Coast Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, LDS Church, South Beach Church, Toledo Foursquare and individual donors.