Several Nye Beach restaurants are holding a fundraiser for the Newport family of two year old Luke Dunphy who was accidentally scalded when a pot of boiling water tipped over on him last week. Family friends say the boy was being babysat and that the babysitter didn’t see him near the stove when he pulled the pot over on top himself.
Lukes burns are severe, likely to require extensive skin grafts and other treatments which are costs a lot of money. Luke is undergoing treatment at Legacy Emanuel’s Randall Children’s Hospital in Portland. His treatment will take months which means unknown financial impacts to the Luke’s family.
To financially aid the family, several Nye Beach restaurants are fundraising for the family this friday. The Chowder Bowl, Savory Cafe, Nye Beach Cafe, Nana’s Irish Pub and Restaurant and Zach’s Bistro, also located in Nye Beach and open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, will also be donating a portion of their proceeds from Friday sales to help the Dunphy family with medical bills. All five restaurants will be open this Friday, December 6th, morning ’til closing. They’re hoping the whole town will come down and pitch in while enjoying a tasty meal in the process.
Luke’s father, Paul Dunphy, told News Lincoln County that his son’s injuries have prompted an unbelievable outpouring of love and support from the community – and for that he and his family are very grateful. He said Luke is always helping around their home, even on the street. He says Luke likes to help pull weeds in the flower boxes at Nana’s Irish Pub and elsewhere, becoming a little celebrity to everyone he meets.