A homeowner at 731 SE Fir in Toledo and his wife started smelling smoke about 5:30pm Sunday night. Thinking it might be electrically related, the man went to the circuit breaker box and turned everything off. He then raced outside to see flames coming up from the southeast corner of the house, immediately underneath the power meter. He told firefighters he grabbed a garden house and doused the fire on the outside of the siding but didn’t know if he got all of it. Firefighters took care of that part by ripping out siding in the corner and checking to see if the fire had extended any further into the house. And it apparently had not.
The power company came out and turned off the power to the meter until the homeowner could fix whatever is wrong with the wiring. No word on how long that will take.
The family will stay with relatives until they can get the wiring back in shape so they can get the power restored.