A one year old infant boy fell out of a second story window at the family’s Little Creek apartment this morning. Fire/rescue raced to the scene fearful of the worse but were relieved to learn the baby was scooped up by his parents and appeared to be okay. He was alert with no visible signs of injury.
Arriving paramedics quickly took the baby to PCH where it was to be checked out for any possible internal injuries.
The parents told investigators that the boy was on a table by a window sitting in a booster chair. One minute he was there, the next he was gone. Investigators said the infant probably pushed off with his feet, rolled over and went through the screen. Outside there was evidence the boy hit a barbecue grill on his way down, and was possibly shielded from the impact by his booster seat.
Fire Chief Richard Crook says these kinds of accidents are far more common that generally believed. He said all parents should consider open windows, even on the first floor, as a deadly danger. Especially in the upper floors. He said “treat an open window with a screen as if there is nothing between a child and the ground but open air.” He said “screens are no safety net. An open window is just that, an open window.”