10 STEPS TO DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
Provided by Sheriff Dennis Dotson
Natural and human-caused disasters can occur when you least expect them. Are you prepared? If you can’t answer any of the following questions, take a few minutes to plan ahead, and prepare your household. For more information, go to: http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/DisasterPreparation/.
1. Are you aware of the risks in your area? Do you live in a tsunami inundation zone?
2. Where will you go during an evacuation? Do you have the address and contact information?
3. Have you notified an out-of-state contact of your plans?
4. Have you talked with your employer about your family plan and provided them with your emergency contact information? Does your employer have an emergency plan?
5. Do any of your family members require life support equipment or a Special Needs Shelter? If so, have you found a Special Needs Shelter.
6. Are your important documents properly secured? Are my photographs, keepsakes and valuables properly secured?
7. Do you have a plan for your pet(s)?
8. What preventative measures have you taken to safeguard your home?
a. Window protection purchased?
b. Address clearly marked on house?
c. Flammable or hazardous chemicals stored securely outside of the home?
d. Emergency exits cleared of obstacles?
f. Tall furniture, equipment and breakables secured?
9. Have you purchased or created a Disaster Supply Kit for your home and each of your vehicles?
10. Have you reviewed your insurance coverage and corrected household safety hazards?
Information provided by the Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments
For more tips and other information, visit our website at www.lincolncountysheriff.net.Share on Facebook