Information provided by Oregon State Police
Preliminary information indicates 3 people died in two separate fatal traffic crashes during the 2012 Super Bowl weekend between 12:01 a.m., Saturday, February 4, and 5:59 a.m., Monday, February 6. During that time period, Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers reported 38 DUII arrests, down from 59 DUII arrests reported during last year’s Super Bowl weekend.
According to ODOT’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) there is information of two confirmed fatal traffic crashes:
* On February 4th at approximately 10:58 p.m. a 19-year old male from Merlin, Oregon died in a single vehicle rollover crash on Highway 238 about four miles east of Murphy in Josephine County. The car’s 18-year old female driver was arrested the next morning upon release from a hospital on multiple charges including Manslaughter in the Second Degree and DUII. Alcohol was a contributing factor in this crash. OSP is the lead investigating agency.
* On February 5th at approximately 6:40 p.m. two people died in a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Highway 211 and Canby-Marquam Highway between Molalla and Woodburn. Positive identification and next of kin notification is pending on both victims. No information of evidence of alcohol as a contributing factor. OSP is the lead investigating agency.
Last year, there were two traffic fatalities in Oregon during Super Bowl weekend.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Super Bowl Sunday has become one of the nation’s most dangerous days on the roadways due to impaired driving. NHTSA statistics show nationally on Super Bowl Sunday 48 percent of the fatalities occurred in crashes where a driver or motorcycle rider had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 percent or higher.
OSP offices reporting 3 or more DUII arrests during the weekend’s nationwide effort to remove impaired drivers from the road:
* Central Point Area Command ˆ 6 DUII arrests
* LaGrande Area Command ˆ 4 DUII arrests
* Albany Area Command ˆ 4 DUII arrests
* Portland Area Command ˆ 4 DUII arrests
* The Dalles Area Command ˆ 4 DUII arrests
* Springfield Area Command ˆ 3 DUII arrests
* St. Helens work site ˆ 3 DUII arrests
* North Plains work site ˆ 3 DUII arrests