Fire in a room at Newport’s Econolodge Motel was reported shortly after 1pm. The entire motel was evacuated and Newport Police officers went door to door to make sure everyone was out. Firefighters got water on it very quickly and had it out in short order. But there was extensive damage to the room. Thanks to quick response by Newport Firefighters the blaze was limited to the one room.
Family and two dogs displaced.
Assistant Fire Chief Rob Murphy reported that the fire was caused when a bag of clothing was placed too close to an electrical wall heater. Robin and Penny Wolf were renting the room. They have two pug dogs, one of which refused to come out from under a bed but Robin coaxed him out before the fire grew too large. Little Shady is doing okay. Their other pug, Little Miss, is fine too.
The Red Cross has come forward with funds to put them up for a few nights until they can get their bearings. Robin is a landscaper and all around property maintenance type person but those no work right now in those jobs. He’s working part time for a local car dealer but his hours are not enough to tide them over. Anyone who might want to help these folks in a very stressful period of their lives can call them at 541-272-7070. Any hours at any type of work would be a blessing for them, especially now.
Share on Facebook