Friday morning update: Fire officials determined the cause of the fire was accidental; it was started on a downstairs chair.
Toledo Firefighters were called to a home on NE Sturdevant on a report that the basement area was full of heat and smoke. They pulled up to find that whatever was burning was doing it in a fairly air tight area, so although the heat was intense and caused damage, the flames never left the basement area.
Two teenagers, who were home alone at the time, evacuated themselves along with the family dog. Unfortunately the family parakeet upstairs succumbed to smoke inhalation. Damage in the downstairs basement area was considerable. There was light smoke damage upstairs throughout the remainder of the home. Power was ordered cut to the home so the teens and their parents are not able to live there until repairs to the home can be made. The Red Cross was called in and have found the family temporary quarters for at least the next few days.Share on Facebook