2:05 am Saturday
Newport fire fighters were called to the Kelp Forest Gallery early Saturday morning, on a report of an exterior fire blazing among wood that was piled up at it’s northeast corner. Fire fighters knocked the flames down quickly. They they proceeded to chase any fingers of remaining flame or smolderings in the exterior walls or roof. They found no sign of what they term as ‘fire extension,’ and an hour after arrival declared the fire out.
Reports from the scene indicated that two juvenile males were seen running from the area just prior to the fire breaking out. They were reportedly last seen running across 101 and then westerly through the Central Lincoln People Utility District. No word on whether authorities located the males or if they might be actually connected to the fire.
Damage to the building appeared to be mainly in the northeast exterior area. There were also pieces of wood that appeared to be in various stages of being “sculpted.” After the fire was declared out, crews re-entered the building and checked everything with a heat seeking sensor that indicated they got it all out.
As of 2:30 am, no cause was yet determined. No injuries. It was the second “good save” for Newport firefightersin the past 24 hours. They jumped right on a kitchen fire at around 12 noon on Friday when a grease fire on the stove of a home on SE 118th erupted and threatened to take down the rest of the house. Firefighters saved the house.Share on Facebook